How Medication Management for Seniors Supports Their Health
February 8, 2023
Roughly 20% of American adults 40 and older take five or more prescription medications. Ensuring you take the correct dose at the right time can lower your risk of negative side effects associated with medication mismanagement.
What is Medication Management?
It’s a clinical service that helps you stick to your prescription and over-the-counter medication regimens. You meet with your doctor and care team to discuss your medical conditions, medication history, allergies and previous adverse prescription reactions. After the evaluation, you will establish a routine to help you take the right dose of your medication on time on a daily or weekly basis.
Importance of Medication Management
According to the CDC, roughly 1.3 million emergency room visits are caused by adverse drug events each year. And 350,000 of those visits result in further hospitalization.
Prescription medications require diligent administration to provide optimal benefits. Sticking to a consistent schedule when taking your medication may go a long way toward managing acute and chronic health conditions, such as arthritis, diabetes, heart disease and high blood pressure.
The individuals who manage medication are also trained to monitor for adverse drug interactions or reactions and mitigate negative side effects.
Who Should Use Medication Management Services?
You could benefit from medication management if:
- You take multiple prescriptions, over-the-counter medications and supplements
- Have memory loss, dementia or Alzheimer’s
- Live with several health conditions that require different medication
- Have trouble with motor skills that affect your ability to take medication
Medication management is also helpful if you’ve been hospitalized. Relying on a dedicated team to administer your medication regimen can boost your recovery. You may also require more monitoring depending on your health concerns and type of medication.
Benefits of Professional Medication Management
The advantages of a medication management program include:
- A team of trained professionals responsible for organizing and delivering your medications
- Reduced risk of forgetting to take or taking too much of your medication
- Reminders and schedules to help you remember to take medication is you self-administer certain drugs
- Lower risk of adverse medication side effects, reactions, interactions with other drugs and toxicity
- Coordination between multiple doctors and pharmacies
- Medical intervention if you have a bad reaction to a medication
- Review processes to ensure your medications are still effective and necessary
Medication Management for Seniors at Embassy Healthcare
We offer medication management for seniors at all our skilled nursing and assisted living facilities in Florida, Ohio, Pennsylvania and Virginia. The dedicated staff organizes and delivers your prescriptions promptly, so you don’t have to worry about taking your medication on time. That can help you manage chronic conditions and improve your quality of life.