touring a senior living facility? ask these questions
June 14, 2021
Finding the right senior care facility for yourself or a loved one takes time. There are plenty of factors to consider, and that can be overwhelming. The team at Embassy Healthcare wants to make your search for the right assisted living or skilled nursing facility as easy as possible. We’ve compiled a list of questions to ask during your tours, so you don’t have to worry about missing out on important information.
A Facility’s Appearance
- Is the facility clean and organized?
- Are the grounds well-maintained or landscaped?
- Is the building easy to navigate, especially if you have issues with mobility?
- Are there different apartment floor plans, and are they available for viewing?
- Does the facility have common areas for residents to socialize and relax?
Location and Visitation
- Is the facility located near conveniences like grocery stores, pharmacies and hospitals?
- Are there parks, golf courses or other recreational places nearby?
- How far is the facility from family and friends?
- What are the visitation hours, and how many visitors can a resident have at once?
- Are there housekeeping and laundry services?
- Do residents’ rooms have cable, WiFi and phone connections?
- Are rooms furnished or unfurnished?
- Can residents decorate their living spaces?
- Is there an activities program?
- Are there different meal plans available? Are snacks provided between meals?
- Is there a weekly menu available for viewing?
- How does the food taste?
- Is the facility pet-friendly?
- Does the facility have a gym, pool, hair salon or barber, theater or spa?
- Does the facility offer medical services such as diabetic care, cardiac care, medication management, wound care, bariatric services, pulmonary care and orthopedic care?
- Does the staff administer physical, occupational and speech therapies?
- How does the staff customize care plans to a resident’s unique needs?
- Is there medical transportation to doctor’s appointments?
- How does the staff coordinate care with primary physicians and specialists?
- Is there a memory care unit?
- Does the facility offer hospice services?
- What is the staff-to-resident ratio?
- How many nurses are on staff, and what is their availability?
- Is there an in-house physician?
- What is the average staff tenure?
- Is the staff required to maintain specific certifications?
- Do staff members participate in continued education?
- Is the staff friendly and accommodating?
- Do the staff answer your questions?
- What financing options are available?
- Does the facility accept Medicare, Medicaid or Veterans Benefits?
- Are there extra charges for certain amenities?
- Are utilities included in the cost of living?
- Does the administration give notice when expenses are due?
- Is there a grace period for late payments?